Signalling Record Society
This video takes us to Dunragit on the Portpatrick Railway with a brief look at Glenwhilly on the Girvan & Portpatrick Junction Railway. The line from Girvan to Dunragit is the last surviving example of electric tablet working on the national railway network.
The transfer of ferry traffic from Stranraer to the non-rail connected port facility at Cairn Ryan has led to a much reduced train service. Long gone are the boat trains to and from London and in 2017 even Glasgow is beyond the reach of a through service.
The geographic location of Dunragit signal box can be seen on a current OS Map. The map will place this location at the centre of the map panel, roll the mouse over the icon(s) to reveal what they represent. The map can be scrolled to the other nearby locations mentioned in the video. Increase the scale using the scale selector on the left to separate closely positioned icons. This link will take you to Glenwhilly.
|Filmed by:||Nick Jones and Matthew Morgan|
|Filmed on:||15 May 2015|
|Signallers:||Andrew Harvey (Dunragit)
Jimmy Alexander (Glenwhilly)
|Local Operations Manager:||Andy Scobie|
|Video Editor:||Nick Jones and Matthew Morgan|
Copyright © of the FARSAP videos belongs to the Friends of the National Railway Museum.
The material may be freely used except for sale or advertising purposes.
Key Chronology (Dunragit)
|1861||Portpatrick Railway opened from Castle Douglas to Stranraer (Town), including a station at Dunragit. Line operated by Caledonian Railway. Single line with passing loops. Up direction to London via Castle Douglas and Carlisle.|
|1862||Portpatrick Railway extended to both Portpatrick and to Stranraer Harbour.|
|1877||Block working replaced telegraphic crossing orders.|
|1885||Line vested in Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee, the joint owners being the Caledonian Railway, Glasgow & South Western Railway, London & North Western Railway, and Midland Railway.|
|1887||Tyer's Tablet instruments introduced.|
|1923||Joint Committee ceased from April 1923 as all four owners had beeen absorbed by the London Midland & Scottish Railway.|
|1927||Signal box replaced.|
|1939||Took over operation of Challoch Junction.|
|1942||Dunragit to Castle Kennedy doubled.|
|1965||Dunragit station closed.|
|1970||Dunragit to Castle Kennedy singled.|
Key Chronology (Glenwhilly)
|1876||Signal Box opened ahead of formal opening of the line.|
|1877||Line and station built by Girvan & Portpatrick Junction Railway. Operated by Glasgow & South Western Railway. Single line with passing loops.|
|1877||Line vested in Ayrshire & Wigtownshire Railway.|
|1892||Ayrshire & Wigtownshire Railway vested in Glasgow & South Western Railway.|
|c1905||Signal box replaced.|
|1965||Glenwhilly station closed.|
|1983||Line became up to Glasgow instead of down to Glasgow.|