SRS Logo    The Signalling Record Society


Home Page    Other County Lists    Railway Company Lists

Industrial & Private Lines: Dumfriesshire

Signal Fact 29

The first structures which became known as signal boxes were opened by the South Eastern Railway on the approaches to London Bridge in the very early 1860s.

Built by Saxby & Farmer on legs and spanning the tracks, they featured semaphore signals on posts elevated above the signal box structure.

This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.

County pages contain details of Industrial and other Private lines that do not form part of any of the principally listed companies on this web site. RailRefs generally remain un-numbered in the county lists.

In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -

RailRef The Line Code used in RailRef system.
Line Detail The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!
SBR The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.
ELR The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.

RailRef Line Detail SBR ELR

ENTRIES BELOW ALL HAD THEIR OWN LOCOMOTIVES

Gatelawbridge Quarry, near Thornhill
Off
Marcus Bain. Closed c1914.
   

Buccleugh Brickworks, Sanquhar
Off
William Baird & Co Ltd until 1931; then Bairds & Dalmellington Ltd. Closed c1961.
   

Fauldhead Colliery, Kirkconnel
Off
NS732124. James Irvine McConnell until 1903; then Sanquhar & Kirkconnel Collieries Ltd until 1931; then Bairds & Dalmellington Ltd. To NCB Area 5 1947. Closed 1968.
   

Gateside & Tower Collieries, Sanquhar
Off
Gateside NS765115; Tower NS758115. James Irvine McConnell until 1903; then Sanquhar & Kirkconnel Collieries Ltd until 1931; then Bairds & Dalmellington Ltd. To NCB Area 5 1947.
   

Locharbriggs Quarry, Dumfries
Off
Baird & Stevenson (Quarrymasters) Ltd.
   

Chapelcross Works, Annan
Off
NY216695. British Nuclear Fuels Ltd.
   

Newbie Brickworks, Annan
Off
Shunting by Cochrane Co (Annan) Ltd after 1899.
   

Newbie Works, Annan
Off
NY182652. Cochrane & Co Ltd 1903-1971; then John Tompson Cochrane Ltd until 1971; then Clarke Chapman - John Thompson Ltd.
   

Corncrockle Quarry, Lockerbie
Off
Benson & Co until 1910; then D J Jardine until 1935; then Corncrockle Quarry Co Ltd.
   

Kelhead Lime Works & Quarry, Annan
Off
Kelhead Lime Co until 1922; then Kelhead Lime & Coal Co Ltd. Closed 1925.
   

Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF 10), Eastriggs
Off
NY246656. aka Dornock, part of Gretna MOM factory; taken over by WD c1960; then MoD. Also narrow gauge system.
   

Gretna
Off
Ministry of Munitions. Also narrow gauge.
   

Corsehill Quarries, Annan
Off
John Murray & Sins. Closed c1943.
   

Kirkpatrick, Fleming
Off
New Cove Quarries Ltd. Closed 1914.
   

Powfoot
Off
NY163663. Nobels Explosives Co Ltd. Also narrow gauge.
   

Nutberry Works, Eastriggs
Off
Richardson's Moss Litter Co Ltd. Narrow gauge only.
   

Scottish Freestone Quarries Ltd, Closeburn, near Thornhill
Off
   

 




Page last modified Thursday, 7th January, 2021, 15:09 hours.
Entire site copyright © 2008–2021 The Signalling Record Society. All rights reserved.
A Charitable Incorporated Organisation registered in England and Wales.
Registered Charity Number 1176506.