SRS Logo    The Signalling Record Society


Home Page    Other County Lists    Railway Company Lists

Industrial & Private Lines: Perthshire

Signal Fact 59

The Great Western Railway started developing its automatic train control (ATC) system with a trial in 1906.

The system was installed across the Great Western Railway between 1910 and 1930.

This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.

County pages contain details of Industrial and other Private lines that do not form part of any of the principally listed companies on this web site. RailRefs generally remain un-numbered in the county lists.

In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -

RailRef The Line Code used in RailRef system.
Line Detail The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!
SBR The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.
ELR The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.

RailRef Line Detail SBR ELR

ENTRIES BELOW ALL HAD THEIR OWN LOCOMOTIVES

Inveralmond, Perth
Off
NO 097 258. John Dewar & Sons Ltd.
   

Almondbank, Perth
Off
Lumsden & MacKenzie, bleachers. Rail traffic ceased 1963.
   

Royal Naval Stores Depot, Almondbank, Perth
Off
   

Inchcoonans Works, near Errol
Off
Pitfour Brick & Tile Co until c1910; then A Fraser Ltd and rope haulage introduced.
   

Dollar Colliery, Muckhart. aka West Pitgober
Off
NS 9709 9797. Opened 1943. Alloa Coal Co; then NCB. Closed 1954. New mine opened 1960. Closed 1973. Mines 1 & 3 NS 9706 9979, mine 2 NS 9703 9803. Supplied Kincardine Power Station. Closed 1973(?)
   

Comrie Colliery, Fife Coal Company
Off
Later part of National Coal Board Scottish Area 1.

Article Railway Bylines 2017 December.
   

 




Page last modified Thursday, 7th January, 2021, 15:09 hours.
Entire site copyright © 2008–2021 The Signalling Record Society. All rights reserved.
A Charitable Incorporated Organisation registered in England and Wales.
Registered Charity Number 1176506.