SRS Logo    The Signalling Record Society


Home Page    Other County Lists    Railway Company Lists

Industrial & Private Lines: Buckinghamshire

Signal Fact 31

In 1863 Charles Spagnoletti, Telegraph Superintendent of the Great Western Railway, devised a block instrument in which a disc swung to show the legend Train on Line or Line Clear in a little window.

Instruments of this type were still used by British Railways well through that organisation's life span!

This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.

County pages contain details of Industrial and other Private lines that do not form part of any of the principally listed companies on this web site. RailRefs generally remain un-numbered in the county lists.

In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -

RailRef The Line Code used in RailRef system.
Line Detail The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!
SBR The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.
ELR The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.

RailRef Line Detail SBR ELR

ENTRIES BELOW ALL HAD THEIR OWN LOCOMOTIVES

Air Ministry, Royal Airforce, Halton
Off GC002
Connection north of Wendover GC002
Halton Camp
Halton Camp 1914-1963. Standard gauge loco shed SU 877 090; Narrow gauge loco shed SU 877 091.
   

International Alloys Ltd, Aylesbury
Off GC002
Connection north of Aylesbury GC002
Haydon Hill Works SP 803 143. 1931-c1968.
   

British Fuel Co, Aylesbury
Off GC002
Connection north of Aylesbury GC002
Coal Concentration Depot, Griffin Lane SP 804 143. 1967-c1990.
   

Calvert Brickworks
Off GC020
Connection south of Calvert GC020
SP 687 242. c1904-1977. Previously Itter's Brickworks. Internal narrow gauge as well. SP 683 250 now a nature reserve. Also connection to NW130.
   

Royal Aircraft Establishment, Westcott
Off GC021
Connection off GC021
Rocket Propulsion Department SP 708 164. 1947-1975.
   

Broom & Wade Ltd
Off GW050
Connection north west of High Wycombe GW050
Bellfield Works, High Wycombe SU 863 936, north of main line.
   

Tunnel Portland Cement, Pitstone Cement Works
Off NW110
Connection north off NW110
Pitstone Cement Works, south of B489, east of NW110. 1937-c1990.
   

Wolverton & Stony Stratford Tramway
Off NW110
Wolverton
Stony Stratford (Barley Mow Inn)
Deanshanger (Fox & Hounds Inn)
3'6" gauge tramway taken over by LNWR 1920, closed 1926. ADD TO NW LIST.
   

Track Supplies & Services Ltd
Off NW110
Connection off NW110 north of Wolverton Works
Haversham Bank Sidings, Old Wolverton Road, Old Wolverton SP 818 416, west side of main line. Dealers 1971-1988.
   

London Brick Co Ltd, Newton Longville
Off NW130
Connection south off NW130
Bletchley Brickworks SP 852 325. 1890-1991. Previously Read, then Bletchley Brick Co. Large internal narrow gauge as well.
   

 




Page last modified Thursday, 7th January, 2021, 15:09 hours.
Entire site copyright © 2008–2021 The Signalling Record Society. All rights reserved.
A Charitable Incorporated Organisation registered in England and Wales.
Registered Charity Number 1176506.