The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes IC
Isle of Wight Central Railway
Signal Fact 39
In 1899 the London & North Western Railway commissioned the first 'all electric' signalling installation at Gresty Lane, Crewe.
The semaphore signals were power operated, as were the points and detection.
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|The Line Code used in RailRef system.
|The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!
|The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.
|The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.
|Smallbrook Junction - Cowes
datum Ryde Pier Head
2m10c Smallbrook Junction IW010(1) Havenstreet from 1958
IWR: Smallbrook Junction - Newport Junction (9m74c)
IWC: 9m74c - Cowes
Mileposts originally measured from Ryde St Johns Road. Changed by Southern Railway in 1920s.
Smallbrook Junction - Wootton now IoW Steam Railway.
Article: Railway Magazine 1962 June.
|Ventnor Town - Newport
10m54c Ventnor Town (1)(1) Ventnor West from 1923
(2) Ventnor St Lawrence until 1900
(3) Merstone until 1911
(4) Blackwater I.O.W. from 1923
Note in Southern Way, issue 15, mentions that this line was "down" to Ventnor until about 1928.
|Sandown - Merstone
|Medina Wharf Branch
Medina Wharf Junction IC001