The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes MM
Signal Fact 45
Yellow arms and lights for distant signals were first introduced in 1907 by the Metropolitan District Railway.
The Metropolitan Railway introduced their first ones in 1908.
Swansea & Mumbles Railway
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|RailRef||The Line Code used in RailRef system.|
|Line Detail||The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!|
|SBR||The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.|
|ELR||The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.|
Explanation of column content is here.
|MM001||Swansea - Mumbles
Swansea Rutland Street GW623(1) St Helens Road until 1900
(2) Gorse Lane until 1900
(3) Water Works Road until 1878, then Brynmill Road until 1902
(4) Ashleigh Road from 1929
(5) Blackpill Road until 1900
(6) West Cross Road until 1900
(7) Dunns until 1827, then Mumbles from 1860 until 1900