The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes WC
Signal Fact 36
Daylight colour light signals were first introduced on the Liverpool Overhead Railway in 1921.
They were also the first to be operated automatically using track circuit detection.
They remained in use until the line closed in 1956.
Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|The Line Code used in RailRef system.
|The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!
|The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.
|The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.
|Portishead - Weston-Super-Mare
14m23c Portishead Junction GW157
|Connection from GWR Clevedon Branch
|Yeo Wharf Branch
Yeo (or Ham) Wharf