SRS Logo    The Signalling Record Society

Home Page    Other County Lists    Railway Company Lists

Industrial & Private Lines: Worcestershire

Signal Fact 40

In 1889 the Great Eastern Railway commissioned the first electro-pneumatic signalling installation at Granary Junction.

Rotary levers were used to operate the various functions.

This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.

County pages contain details of Industrial and other Private lines that do not form part of any of the principally listed companies on this web site. RailRefs generally remain un-numbered in the county lists.

In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -

RailRef The Line Code used in RailRef system.
Line Detail The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!
SBR The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.
ELR The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.

RailRef Line Detail SBR ELR


Army Department, Honeybourne
Off GW690
Honeybourne Storage Depot 1944-1965.
Subsequently an industrial estate.

Ministry of Defence, Long Marston
Off GW697
Long Marston Depot 1944-1965.
Subsequently Bird's Commercial Motors Ltd -1995. Still rail connected and used for storage of locomotives and rolling stock off lease out of service.

Worcester City Corporation
Off GW712
Hylton Road Power Station SO 843 548. 1944-1967.
Connected to Henwick Yard.

Heenan & Froude Ltd
Off GW717
Shrub Hill Engineering Works SO 553 857. Various owners.
Opened 1865 by Worcester Engine Works Co Ltd, passed to West Central Wagon Co Ltd in 1872 and closed 1876. Site used for Worcestershire Exhibition in 1882. Dutton & Co, signal engineers, 1888-1899 when sold out to J F Pearse & Co, Darlington. Acquired by Heenan 1903. Part of site rented to Kay & Co 1893-1908. Traffic ceased 1958.
There was also a tunnel to McKenzie & Holland Ltd.

McKenzie & Holland Ltd
Off GW717
Vulcan Works SO 553 855.
1872-1921. Business sold to Westingouse Brake & Saxby Signal Co Ltd in 1920 and activities transferred to Chippenham, Wiltshire in 1921. Site continued in use by Heenan & Frounde Ltd.
Connection via tunnel under Shrub Hill Road from Shrub Hill Engineering Works line.

Cadbury Brothers Ltd, Blackpole
Off GW720
Blackpole Works, Worcester. SO 866 578.
Ministry of Munitions, bought by Cadbury 1921, rail traffic ceased 30 September 1967.
Also narrow gauge internal railway. Site in MoD hands 1940-194x.

Cadbury Brothers Ltd, Bournville
Blackpole Works, Worcester. SO 866 578.
Ministry of Munitions, bought by Cadbury 1921, rail traffic ceased 30 September 1967.
Also narrow gauge internal railway. Site in MoD hands 1940-194x.

Underwood & Co Ltd
Off GW720
Coal Concentration Depot, Droitwich. SO 895 636.
Part of former Droitich Spa Goods site, rail traffic ceased 31 March 1987.

Salt Union Ltd
Off GW720
Covercroft Works, Droitwich. SO 894 634.
c1879 to 1922. Locomotives from here also shunted at Chapel Bridge Salt Works off GW721.

Minitry of Defence, Air Force Department
Off GW720
No.25 Maintenance Unit, Hartlebury. SO 854 700.
1938-1974. Siding retained into Hartlebury Trading Estate, still extant 2004.

Salt Union Ltd
Off GW721
Chapel Bridge Works, Droitwich. SO 903 635.
c1879 to 1911.

Shropshire, Worcestershire & Staffordshire Electric Power Co
Off GW723
Stourport Power Stations
Power Station Junction GW723
Stourport Power Station. SO 818 709.
Standard gauge opened 1940, rail traffic ceased c1981.
Also narrow gauge railway 1905(?)-1979.

British Sugar Corporation Ltd
Off GW725
Kidderminster Factory, Foley Park. SO 825 749.
Previously West Midland Sugar Co Ltd until 1936. Opened 1925, rail traffic ceased by 25 October 1982.

Austin Rover Group Ltd
Off MR270
Cofton Hackett Works, near Longbridge. SP 011 764
Previously Austin Motor Co to 1968, then British Leyland until 1986. Rail traffic ceased c1995.

Garringtons Ltd
Off MR270
Newton Works, Bromsgrove. SO 966 692
Previously Deritend Stamping Co to c1946. Opened 1940 as a government shadow factory. Rail traffic ceased c1979, connection removed 1982.

Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd, Alkali Division
Off MR270
Stoke Prior Salt Works. SO 946 667
Previously J Corbett to 1888, then Salt Union Ltd to 1940. Opened c1845. Rail traffic ceased 1964.


Do you find this web site useful? If so, why not become a member of the Society

Page last modified Thursday, 7th January, 2021, 15:09 hours.
Entire site copyright © 2008–2022 The Signalling Record Society. All rights reserved.
A Charitable Incorporated Organisation registered in England and Wales.
Registered Charity Number 1176506.