The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes MD
Signal Fact 37
Colour light signals were introduced for the first time in 1904 with the opening of the Great Northern & City Railway.
Although automated, they were lit by oil and had 'moving spectacles'.
Metropolitan District Railway
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|RailRef||The Line Code used in RailRef system.|
|Line Detail||The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!|
|SBR||The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.|
|ELR||The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.|
|Whitechapel - Campbell Road
See Whitechapel & Bow Joint Railway WB001 for detail.
|Vallance Road Junction - Mansion House Junction|
|Whitechapel Junction - St Mary's Junction|
|MD010||Mansion House Junction - Studland Road Junction
Mansion House Junction MD002(1) Brompton (Gloucester Road) until 1864
(2) North End (Fulham) until 1877
(3) Eastcheap until 1884
(4) Gloucester Road (Brompton) until 1907
A diagram in The Engineer for 4 October 1895 marks the down direction running from South Kensington to Sloane Square.
High Street Kensington (Bay)
|MD013||Cromwell Road Dive Under
datum Mansion House
|MD015||Earls Court Flying Junction
Into use 1914, replacing original up Putney line at Earls Court Junction. See MD Signal Notice W105 of 1913.
|MD016||Pre 1914 alignment of down line, Earls Court Junction to West Kensington East Junction
Moved to allow Putney flying junction. See MD Signal Notice W105 of 1913.
|MD017||Addison Road Branch
West Kensington East Junction MD010(1) Kensington Olympia from 1946
|MD020||Turnham Green - Ealing Broadway
Turnham Green Junction SW036(1) Acton Green until 1887
(2) Mill Hill Park until 1910
|MD021||Turnham Green Junction South Side Tracks
See RCH Junction book, 1913 map. South side tracks only, north side tracks included in SW036.
|MD022||Fisher's Lane Junction - Acton Lane East Junction|
|MD023||South Acton Branch|
|MD024||Acton - Hounslow Barracks
Acton Town North Junction MD020(1) Boston Road until 1911
(2) Hounslow East from 1925
(3) Hounslow Central from 1925
(4) Hounslow West from 1925
|MD025||Latimer Road & Acton Railway
Construction work started but lines never completed.
|MD027||Hounslow Town Branch|
|MD030||Rayners Lane Branch|