The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes SM
Signal Fact 27
John Saxby devised the first lever frame with a limited form of co-working in which the lever worked both the points and the relevant signal.
It was installed at Bricklayers Arms Junction in 1856 and was patented by John Saxby.
Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|The Line Code used in RailRef system.
|The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!
|The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.
|The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.
Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales lines beyond Llanymynech had been sold to the Cambrian Railway in 1881 and are included in the Cambrian list. Blank numbers have been left for possible inclusion of military branches.
|Shrewsbury - Llanymynech
0m00c Shrewsbury Abbey(1) Hookagate until 1921
(2) Hanwood Road until 1921
(3) Crossgates until 1911
0m05c Kinnerley Junction SM001