The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes MC
Signal Fact 29
The first structures which became known as signal boxes were opened by the South Eastern Railway on the approaches to London Bridge in the very early 1860s.
Built by Saxby & Farmer on legs and spanning the tracks, they featured semaphore signals on posts elevated above the signal box structure.
Maryport & Carlisle Railway
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|RailRef||The Line Code used in RailRef system.|
|Line Detail||The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!|
|SBR||The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.|
|ELR||The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.|
The Maryport & Carlisle Railway set out its directions of travel on the basis that the Down direction was from Carlisle to Maryport and this was perpetuated by the LMSR and BR-LMR.
The section of line from Carlisle No.5 to Carlisle No.8 was altered from 24 September 1951 to be down from Carlisle No.8 to Carlisle No.5. The change was published in weekly notice W1-38.
With the completion of stage 9 of the Carlisle resignalling on 3 June 1973 the Down direction was altered to be Down from Whitehaven Bransty to Carlisle No.8 to match the rest of the surviving Cumbrian railway lines. The change was published in signalling notice 3G of 1973, a copy of which is held in our digital archive.
The listings on this page show the Down direction used by the Maryport & Carlisle Railway - that is Down from Carlisle to Maryport.
|MC001||Carlisle No.5 - Wigton
datum Maryport Junction
|MC002||Bog Goods (Crown Street) - Main Line Junction
|MC003||Maryport & Carlisle Goods||MCG|
|MC004||Forks Junction - Crown Street Goods v original alignment
|MC005||Forks Junction - Citadel Station v original alignment
|MC006||Crown Street Station - Bog Junction
|MC007||South Carlisle Goods
datum Currock Junction
0m29c Carlisle No.9 (Forks) Junction MC003
|MC010||Wigton - Maryport Junction
16m20c Wigton MC001(1) Dearham until 1867.
datum Maryport Junction
datum Maryport with reversal at Bullgill
|MC013||Maryport - Senhouse Dock (South Quay)
|MC014||Ropery - Elizabeth Dock
0m24c Ropery MC013