The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes CE
Clifton Extension Railway (GWR & MR)
Signal Fact 21
In the Sykes’ Lock & Block system, there were usually three vertical iron rods linking each instrument on the block shelf with the lever frame below.
These were referred to as rods S, Y and X in the manufacturer’s literature, spelling the company trade mark “SYX”.
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|The Line Code used in RailRef system.
|The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!
|The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.
|The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.
|Clifton Extension Line
datum Bristol Temple Meads
2m35c (0m00c) Ashley Hill Junction MR371 GW131Milepost mileage figures in brackets are those shown in the Midland Railway Distance Diagram, sheet 53 of 1918 and sheet 53A of 1914. Bristol mileages date from 1949 but Tony Cooke used them in his Atlas set in 1947 with a note explaining.
1888 OS 1:10,560 map shows the mileages (as per MR Distance Book) in use as far as Sea Mills (Ashley Hill 3mp between Clifton Tunnel and Sneyd Park) and names the line as 'GW & MR Clifton Extension' on Bristol side of Sea Mills. Beyond Sea Mills inlet it names it as 'Bristol Port & Pier Railway' on the Avonmouth side of Sea Mills and mileposts of Bristol 4mp Avonmouth on side of Shirehampton and Bristol 5mp immediately before Avonmouth Dock station; these mileages seem to indicate a datum of Clifton Down.
RCHS Register lists Bristol Port Railway & Pier, incorporated 1862, worked by GWR from 15 August 1867, worked jointly by GWR & MR from 25 May 1871 and vested in GWR & MR from 21/28 July 1873. No listing for Clifton Extension Railway so this is simply a name used, not an incorporated company.
|Hotwells & Avonmouth Line
0m00c Sneyd Park Junction CE001
|Avonmouth Dock Juntion to Avonmouth Docks
|Avonmouth Terminus Line
St Andrews Junction CE001