The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes AN
Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway (MR & LNWR)
Signal Fact 56
In 1932 the London Midland & Scottish Railway resignalled the Mirfield area with a different form of colour light signalling.
The signals had a mix of aspects and marker lights designed to give drivers an indication of the speed at which they could proceed.
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|RailRef||The Line Code used in RailRef system.|
|Line Detail||The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!|
|SBR||The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.|
|ELR||The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.|
|Ashby Junction - Moira West Junction
18m25c Ashby Junction NW180ASE: Weddington Junction - Shackerstone Junction
AMS: Shackerstone Junction - Moira West Junction
|Abbey Junction - Weddington Junction||AJW|
|Hinckley - Stoke Golding
17m41c HinckleyMR Distance Diagram sheet 66 of 1906 shows the line as 'disused'.
|Shackerstone Junction - Coalville Junction
6m11c Shackerstone Junction AN001ASC: Shackerstone Junction - Coalfelds Farm GF
CFL: Coalfields Farm GF - Coalville Junction
|Donisthorpe Junction - Donisthorpe Colliery
0m00c Donisthorpe Junction AN001MR Distance book, sheet 25 of 1920, shows this as a MR Branch. Industrial Railway Society (Industrial Railways and Locomotives of Leicestershire & South Derbyshire, 2006) indicates that branch was opened 1873 and may have changed hands in 1895. The IRS also state a branch was opened from this line to the Ashby Canal in 1919 - this is not shown on the MR sheet of 1920.
Donisthorpe Colliery Co Ltd was a subsidiary of Moira Colliery Co Ltd, and had been owned by Checkland until 1903. IRS record the colliery becoming part of the NCB in 1947. Closed 1990.
|Moira South Junction - Moira East Junction|