The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes GB
Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway (CR, GSWR)
Signal Fact 48
In 1916 the Great Central Railway installed a group of eight three position upper quadrant semaphores at Keadby.
Motor operated, they returned to danger automatically as trains passed.
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|RailRef||The Line Code used in RailRef system.|
|Line Detail||The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!|
|SBR||The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.|
|ELR||The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.|
Part Closed (B)
|Kilmarnock - Gorbals Junction
23m39c Kilmarnock Junction GS050(1) A spur just south of the point where the GB&K and Caledonian cross over and leading to CA310 is shown by Cobb as opening "1930?". The connecting spur is not shown in Leigh Crowther's National Atlas. Inspection of Google Maps shows no evidence of the earthworks that would have been needed although the routes of GBK and CA310 are quite clear.
(A) Opened: Kilmarnock - Stewarton 1873, Stewarton - Brrhead 1871, Barrhead - Glasgow South Side 1848, South Side - Langside 1877, Langside - Gorbals Junction 1876.
(B) Closed: Langside - Gorbals Junction 1973.
GBK Kilmarnock GB&K Junction to Strathbungo 1m19c
LFS2 Strathbungo to Langside Junction
GBA Strathbungo to Gorbals Junction
GIF1 was 19c of the former down line between Lugton Junction and Lugton SB after singling of the line. It reverted to GBK with the opening of the new Lugton Loop in 2009.
5m06c Beith (1)(1) later (BR) Beith Town
(B) Closed: Beith - Barrmill 1964, Barrmill - Lugton Junction 1994.
GIF2 Lugton Junction to Barrmill Junction
LBB Barrmill Junction to Beith
|Victoria Pit Branch
0m00c Nitshill Junction GB001
0m76c Spiersbridge Goods(B) Closed: Spiersbridge - Thornliebank 1941, Thornliebank - Kennishead 1960.
|South Side Goods Branch|