The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes CJ
Carlisle Citadel Station Committee
Signal Fact 37
Colour light signals were introduced for the first time in 1904 with the opening of the Great Northern & City Railway.
Although automated, they were lit by oil and had 'moving spectacles'.
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|RailRef||The Line Code used in RailRef system.|
|Line Detail||The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!|
|SBR||The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.|
|ELR||The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.|
|Carlisle Joint Station Line (south)
|Connection from North Eastern Railway
datum Newcastle Central via Elswick
|Carlisle Joint Station Line (north)
(LNWR mileages, datum Lancaster, in brackets)