The Signalling Record Society
RailRef Line Codes GP
Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway (CR, GSW)
Signal Fact 15
E A Cowper invented the railway detonator in 1841 used to protect trains that had come to a stand unexpectedly.
First adopted by the Great Western Railway, the other companies soon followed suit.
Detonators are still used today.
This page should be regarded as “Work in Progress”. The webmaster will welcome additional information for this page.
In the list below the information is set out in tabular form, spread over four columns. The column entries are -
|RailRef||The Line Code used in RailRef system.|
|Line Detail||The principal locations included within the Line Code. They are arranged in 'down' direction order. Locations shown are primarily stations and junctions to allow easy cross check against published atlases. Signal box names appear in italics where these are 'intermediate' to stations or have been shown to facilitate links from other pages on this web site. The inclusion of a station or junction name does not imply that there was always a signal box of that same name!|
|SBR||The section reference used in the relevant Signal Box Register published by the Society.|
|ELR||The corresponding Engineer's Line Reference(s). This will be blank for railways that never came within British Railways terms of reference. It will also be blank where British Railways had no surviving responsibility for infrastructure at the time the ELR system came into use.|
|Pollok Junction to Bridge Street Junction
0m70c Pollok Junction GP003 GS198(1) later Shields Road.
(2) Cook Street from 1925.
|Eglinton Street Goods Branch
Eglinton Street Goods
|Pollok Junction - Stoneybrae Junction
0m70c Pollok Junction GP001 GS198(1) originally Bellahouston.
(2) Moss Road until 1878.
(3) originally Hillington
(4) originally Hillington Halt
(6) originally Paisley
AYR1 Pollock Junction - Wellneuk Junction
GOU1 Wellneuk Junction - Gilmour Street Junction
Opened by 1895
|connection to GSWR at Bellahouston||Y59|
datum Glasgow Bridge Street station
2m01c Ibrox Junction (1) GP003(1) Quail gives this as 2m05c.
(B) Closed: Ibrox - Princes Dock 1970, Princes Dock - Govan 1966.
|Princes Dock Goods Branch
See Princes Dock Joint Railway PD001 for detail.
Drumoyne Junction GP003
Part Closed (B)
|Renfrew District Line
0m00c Cardonald Junction GP003 (1)(1) Shieldhall Junction until 1915.
(B) Closed: Deanside - Renfrew 1964.
CND1 Cardonald Junction - Cardonald North Junction
CND2 Cardonald North Junction - Deanside 1m54c (Quail gives 1m58c)
|Shieldhall Saw Mills Branch|
|Clyde Navigation Works Branch|
|Deanside Goods Branch
0m38c Deanside Goods
|Greenlaw Goods Branch
0m00c Gallowhill Junction GP003(1) aka Paisley Goods
|Paisley Goods - Paisley Abercorn||Y61|